Century Link Field, Seattle WA

Century Link Field, Seattle WA

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quick Thoughts: Seahawks vs. Chargers

It's happening again.  I can hear it already.... "Josh Portis should be our starting quarterback!!!!"

Two words.  Mike Teel.  Let's reserve judgement about an undrafted rookie who was playing against UDFA's and third-stringers.  I like the tools.... and in fact he could be the most interesting rookie QB we've had since Jon Kitna, but let's not jump the gun.

Besides that, I was really pleased with what I saw from Charlie Whitenhurst.  He looked decisive, willing to throw the ball downfield into tight windows, and he was more accurate than we've seen.  This could yet be a very intriguing QB competition.

We should know more this week.  I'm hoping Jackson plays at least the first half so we can get an extended look.  He needs the work, and we need to see him!

Am I freaking out about Russel Okung?  Of course I am.  It's impossible not to think this ankle thing may be a chronic impediment to his development, but again... let's not overreact.  I feel good about Polumbus as a pass blocker.  He played well in Okung's place last year, and I'm sure that the possibility of us bringing in another tackle (Langston Walker anyone?) increases dramatically if Okung ends up on the PUP list or out for an extended time. 

QUICK HITS:  Other things I liked, in no particular order.....

  • Saw enough from Moffitt and Carpenter to think they are going to grow into a devestating run combo.  The pass pro will come. 

  • Thought the young DB's looked good as a whole.   Much bigger, stronger, more athletic than in the past.  Legree, Browner, Sherman, Chancellor, Maxwell and Johnson give us some thump back there, and give us a chance to match up better against the Larry Fitzgerald's of the world.

  • K.J. Wright look solid in the middle.   I still think he ultimately settles in on the outside, but he held up well at the Mike position.... he covers a lot of ground.

Concerns?  Not really... it's the first preseason game.   I expected slop, and we got a lot of that.  I'm just looking for upside and talent right now, and I saw more of that against the Chargers then I've seen in a preseason opener in a long time.  The next two weeks will tell us a whole lot more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment